Daisypath Wedding Ticker

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tell Me Your Dreams

My Dad and I have an exceptional relationship. I remember after my parents first got divorced and he started dating again he ran his dates past me. Even though I was only 11 or 12, he still considered my opinion of the women important. Over the years I've been lucky to share some very special things with him. He has always been supportive of all my athletic and academic ventures. Be it as president of a figure skating club dealing with some pretty intense figure skating moms, or as a referee when I weightlifted he's been there for every achievement. He encourages me to strive for the highest goal possible and truly believes I am capable of anything I put my mind to. Much of my musical appreciation comes from my early years listening to the Fox with my Dad. I think I knew who ZZ Top was before I was 8. Christmas 2007 I was able to give him tickets to Blue Rodeo and together we saw one of the most beautiful concert I have ever been to. I, and I think he too, was memorized by their musicality and skill.

All that praise said, it's now my turn to be there for my Dad. In the past few months we have been sifting through his diagnosis with medullary thryoid cancer. From what I google it is the third most common of the four kinds of thyroid cancers. But all the stats aside all it is to me is what is inside of him. It is hard for me to think of him having a disease, he's my rock and my hero. Today I went with him to discuss the surgery he will undergo on March 5th of this year, 3 days before his 50th birthday. The doctor offered to try to postpone the surgery so that he wouldn't spend his birthday in the hospital, but like in everything he does in his life my Dad pressed on. This year he will spend his birthday in the hospital so that he can spend many more birthdays out of the hospital. I'm sure I will write more about this later, but I'm really still absorbing everything. As my Mom, a two-time cancer survivor says expect the worst and hope for the best. And a few prayers have never hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment