Daisypath Wedding Ticker

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Have You Got It In You?

After a long, busy day of serving cranky people I was walking home listening to music when I came to the conclusion that for the first time in a long time I'm at peace. Life may not be perfect, but I'm feeling a sense that things are going to end up alright. Perhaps this a product of finally seeing the light at the end of the university tunnel. After 6 years of school over 2 provinces, working full time at points to pay for my studies I feel like I'm tying up loose ends. Each time I finish an assignment, a presentation and an exam I am that much closer to having something to show for all my hard work. And boy has it been hard.

A friend and I were discussing that our degrees from SFU will simply say Bachelor of Science, they won't say that they're in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. That little piece of paper we've invested so much of time into lumps all of us BSc's into one mass. We will look the same as someone who as a degree in math, or physics, or biology. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Everyone feels like they've chosen the hardest program. MBB exposes you to chemistry, biology, physics and everything in between and has challenged me to face things I hate like calculus. This semester I'm jumping through a final hoop to get my degree...thermodynamics, a calculus based chem class. The point of this class, especially after I've finished all but one of my 4th year MBB requirement is still alluding me but I will do it so I can get out. As an aside I went to the professor's office hours to get help with a question from our problem set and he told me to make more of an effort and make sure I go to tutorials. I have been to all the tutorials and have been a ton of time into the class, so excuse me if I don't remember an obscure calculus rule from Sept 2003.

I just really feel like at this point that whether I continue on into academia, or find a job I'm happy. I've almost completed something that only one other person in my family has and I can be proud of it. Between finishing this huge part of my life and getting married I feel like chapters are finally being concluded, chapters which sometimes felt like the entire plot of the story was being crammed in. I can honestly say I have it in me to face the challenges that await me after graduation, with my non-descript BSc.

No comments:

Post a Comment